The new network is dedicated to telling the stories of The University of Texas at Austin through sports, academic and cultural programming.
"The starting gun is finally going to go off, which we've been waiting for, for a long time," said Stephanie Druley, vice president of production for the Longhorn Network.
The university, ESPN and UT Athletics' multimedia rights partner, IMG College, first announced the agreement to develop the network last January and anticipation on campus and across the country has been building.
The Longhorn Network is the first network of its kind, bringing unprecedented exposure to the university community. It will cover 20 sports, offer original sports programming and give fans a taste of the university's academic, arts and cultural offerings.
A live broadcast of College GameDay kicks off the Longhorn Network on Friday. Join hosts Chris Fowler, Lee Corso, Kirk Herbstreit, Desmond Howard and Erin Andrews, at the South Mall in front of the Tower. The show starts at 6 p.m., but fans are encouraged to arrive early at 5 p.m.
Also at the event will be the new on-air team for the Longhorn Network: Kevin Dunn, Lowell Galindo and Samantha Steele as well as Mack Brown, the Longhorn Band and Bevo. Coverage of that night's volleyball game against Pepperdine University begins on the new network at 8 p.m.
Service provider update:
Verizon FiOS TV to Add Longhorn Network
Verizon is the largest video service provider to add the university's Longhorn Network to its channel lineup -- in time for the Longhorns' Sept. 3 football season opener with Rice University. Read more about the Verizon FiOS TV plan.
- Join College GameDay for Longhorn Network debut -- Event
- Inside the new Longhorn Network (slideshow) -- The Alcalde
- 10 questions with Longhorn Network's Stephanie Druley -- Texassports.com
- Longhorn Network announces new on-air team -- The Alcalde
- Longhorn Network begins broadcasting on Aug. 26 -- Tower Talk
- First slate of shows announced for Longhorn Network -- Texassports.com
- 10 questions with Longhorn Network's Dave Brown -- Texassports.com
- ESPN and The University of Texas at Austin unveil 'Longhorn Network' name and logo -- utexas.edu
- Texas Ex to head production on ESPN Longhorn Network -- The Alcalde
- Two ESPN veterans named vice presidents for University of Texas at Austin network -- utexas.edu
On the home page: ESPN's Lee Corso wears the Bevo mascot head alongside his fellow College GameDay host Chris Fowler.