Bonjour! Hola! Guten Tag! Shalom!
Don’t have a lot of time or money to travel abroad this summer? Still would like to learn a new language or experience a different culture?
If that’s the case, take a virtual trip using the award-winning foreign language learning Web sites created by faculty and staff at The University of Texas at Austin.
The university offers 34 languages to students exploring language studies on campus and abroad and has established a reputation as a national leader in the construction and dissemination of foreign language content.
On your virtual voyage through the links below you can explore French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Hebrew, Yiddish, Persian, Arabic and German while learning about the cultures of the people who speak these languages around the globe through audio, video, illustration, music and photography.
A sampling of some of the exciting things waiting to be discovered includes podcasts about cultural differences between Brazil and the United States on Tá Falado and what daily life is like for University of Texas at Austin students studying in France on Français Interactif.
Visitors to Grimm Grammar will learn German while being entertained by fairy tale characters such as Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella and Rapunzel. A variety of listening materials on Arabic Voices will help beginning and advanced users study Arabic.
These are just a few of the many foreign language learning Web sites available. All you need is a computer to embark on your foreign language learning experience. No passport required!
French and Italian
- Français Interactif
- Tex’s French Grammar
- Danteworlds: Inferno, Purgatory and Paradiso
- Reading Between The Lines
- 19th Century France: A Visual Resource
- Radio Arlecchino
Spanish and Portuguese
Middle Eastern Languages and Cultures
More Language Resources
- Foreign Language Audio Online
- Archive of the Indigenous Languages of Latin America
- Hemispheres: The International Outreach Consortium
- Liberal Arts Instructional Technology Services
- Texas Language Technology Center
Language Network Information Centers
- Asian Studies Network Information Center
- Middle East Network Information Center
- Latin American Network Information Center
- Russian and East European Network Information Center
Language sites developed by University of Texas at Austin faculty members in collaboration with Liberal Arts Instructional Technology Services and Texas Language Technology Center in the College of Liberal Arts.
- Translating the Arab World: Language, religion and culture are keys to understanding diverse region
- Gateway to the Americas and Changing U.S. Demographics
- Unique Texas Dialect Succumbs to Population Changes
- Words Fail Me: Foreign language anxiety crippling for some students
- Assignment Abroad: From China to Tanzania, students explore cultures around the world in quest for global citizenship
- Study Abroad Office: Where will you go?
- Abroadly Speaking