The Architecture and Planning Library at The University of Texas at Austin has launched a Web site that will serve as the authoritative resource for information about an acclaimed Dallas architect and his work.
“The Architectural Legacy of Herbert Miller Greene” is now available for online research about Dallas architect Herbert Miller Greene (1871-1932).
Featuring architectural drawings and archival material, the Web site grew out of an exhibition at the Architecture and Planning Library in 2005. It includes a online version of the exhibit, as well as all source documentation used during research conducted for the exhibit including full text articles from the Dallas Morning News archive, scans of Greene’s archival records and links to other source documents on the Web.
The Web site is the result of a collaborative effort by the Alexander Architectural Archive, the Architecture and Planning Library and the School of Architecture‘s Visual Resources Collection. It focuses on Herbert M. Greene’s Dallas architecture, his Masonic commissions and The University of Texas buildings he designed. The site provides 139 images depicting 42 projects.
Herbert Miller Greene built over 90 projects throughout Texas and other U.S. cities and founded one of the oldest continuously operating architectural firms in Texas. In 1922, Greene received a 10-year contract from The University of Texas at Austin to succeed the esteemed Cass Gilbert as university architect, where he worked with associates Edwin B. LaRoche and George L. Dahl on designs for more than 15 buildings on campus. The following year, Greene was the first Texas architect to be elected a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects.
The John Greene Taylor Endowment for Collections Enhancement funded the processing and preservation of Herbert M. Greene materials throughout the Alexander Architectural Archive, as well as curation of the exhibition.
The endowment–established by Greene’s grandson John Greene Taylor–supports the Architecture and Planning Library, the Alexander Architectural Archive and the School of Architecture’s Visual Resources Collection by providing funds for collection cataloging, digitization, acquisition and outreach.