EVENT: 34th Annual International Conference on Teaching and Leadership Excellence, hosted by the College of Education‘s National Institute for Staff and Organizational Development Conference
WHEN: May 27-30
WHERE: Austin Convention Center, 500 E. Cesar Chavez St.
BACKGROUND: The National Institute for Staff and Organizational Development is the outreach arm of the College of Education’s Community College Leadership Program (CCLP) and has 700 community colleges around the world as members. The annual conference brings together leaders, faculty members and staffers from those colleges to offer presentations on current, compelling issues in higher education and celebrate examples of excellence among the institute’s members. This year, more than 400 community colleges will be represented at the event.
The conference will feature workshops, seminars and roundtable sessions about improving student success rates, the role of community college faculty, developmental education, online learning, and assessment and accountability. There also will be a college showcase that highlights best practices in community colleges worldwide.
Keynote speakers for the general sessions include:
– Eduardo Padrón, president of Miami Dade College
– Bernadine Fong, senior managing partner at the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching
– Karon Klipple, associate director for the Carnegie Statway Networked Improvement Community, Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching
– Jane Muhich, associate director for the Carnegie Quantway Networked Improvement Community and director of Productive Persistence, Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching
– John E. Roueche, director of the CCLP and Sid W. Richardson Regents Chair in Community College Leadership at The University of Texas at Austin
The CCLP is a doctoral-level program that has prepared community college presidents, vice presidents and deans for 60 years. More than 15 percent of U.S. community college leaders, as well as a significant number of other college administrators, are graduates of the CCLP.
Additional information about the conference is available online.