Update at 7:30 p.m.: Austin-Travis County EMS has cleared the building and is allowing residents back into the facility.
As media have been reporting, the Austin Fire Department responded to an emergency call this afternoon at an off-campus housing facility, 21 Pearl, and evacuated the facility due to exposure to dangerous gas. Austin Travis-County EMS confirmed that a man in his 20s died due to the exposure. Our hearts go out to the victim and his family.
We are here to support our community. Most of the residents of 21 Pearl are UT Austin students. Students who were temporarily displaced by this evacuation who need resources or help can call the Office of the Dean of Students at 512-471-5017.