Five state lawmakers who are also former collegiate student-athletes will discuss the influence of sports in society at an event sponsored by The University of Texas at Austin’s Center for Sports Leadership and Innovation.
Center Director and founder Daron K. Roberts, who is also a former NFL assistant coach, will moderate the panel.
When: Monday, March 23, 6 to 7 p.m.
Where: Room 212, Main Building, UT Austin campus
News media are invited to attend and cover the event.
WHO: Participants are:
- Sen. Royce West of Dallas, former football player at UT Arlington
- Sen. Lois Kolkhorst of Brenham, former golfer at Texas Christian University
- Rep. Travis Clardy of Nacogdoches, former basketball player at Abilene Christian University
- Rep. John Kuempel of Seguin, former football player at UT Austin
- Rep. Rick Miller of Sugar Land, former baseball player at the U.S. Naval Academy
Background: The Center for Sports Leadership and Innovation was established in 2014 to leverage UT Austin’s academic and sports capital in order to cultivate leadership and character reform among student-athletes across the country.
Its three primary areas of focus are implementing a certification program for high school coaches who want to better cultivate leadership and sound character traits in their student-athletes; developing curricula for college student-athletes on financial literacy and sound decision-making; and applying quantitative analyses to issues of sports management and strategy.