WHAT: UT Austin President Gregory L. Fenves and other university representatives will be in the Rio Grande Valley to officially welcome nearly 400 new students and their parents to the UT family.
WHEN: Brownsville Texas Exes Send-Off: 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 1
Hidalgo-Starr Texas Exes Send-Off: 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 2
WHERE: Brownsville Send-Off:
International Bank of Commerce, 1600 FM 802 Brownsville, Texas
Hidalgo-Starr Send Off:
Edinburg Conference Center, 118 Paseo Del Prado, Edinburg, Texas
(Between Alberta and Dove, off of McColl)
MEDIA: Members of the news media are welcome to attend. Note: Due to time constraints, President Fenves will be able to attend the Brownsville event.
BACKGROUND: The Rio Grande Valley send-offs provide UT Austin-bound students and their parents an opportunity to talk with university officials about the transition to campus life. The event began in 1993 as a partnership between the university and constituents in the Rio Grande Valley to welcome students and assure parents that students are in good hands. The Rio Grande Valley model became so successful that similar send-offs were later started in other areas of Texas. This year marks the 25th anniversary of the event.
The university has established the Valley Admissions Center at 2102 Treasure Hills Blvd. in Harlingen to assist high school students interested in attending The University of Texas at Austin.
6 p.m. Check-in, buffet, students and parents mingle with alumni and current students
7 p.m. Remarks and welcome messages (Hidalgo-Starr starts at 6:45 p.m.)
8 p.m. Group photo with UT Austin President Gregory L. Fenves (Brownsville only)
Those attending each event include:
- Gregory L. Fenves, UT Austin president
- Michael Moreno, Brownsville Texas Exes chapter president
- David Vela, Brownsville Texas Exes chapter treasurer
- Al Villarreal, alumnus and president of IBC, Brownsville
- Tony Gonzalez, alumnus and professor in UT Austin’s Freshman Research Initiative
- Susie Smith, Texas Parents Association
- Taylor Saenz, current UT Austin sophomore
- Sharon Flores, Hidalgo-Starr Texas Exes chapter president
- Chuck Harris, executive director of Texas Exes
- Ricardo Hinojosa, U.S. District Judge for the Southern District of Texas
- Annie Holand Miller, chief business and operations officer of Holand Investments
- Miguel Wasielewski, UT Austin executive director of admissions
- Vallery Valle, current UT Austin junior