UT Wordmark Primary UT Wordmark Formal Shield Texas UT News Camera Chevron Close Search Copy Link Download File Hamburger Menu Time Stamp Open in browser Load More Pull quote Cloudy and windy Cloudy Partly Cloudy Rain and snow Rain Showers Snow Sunny Thunderstorms Wind and Rain Windy Facebook Instagram LinkedIn Twitter email alert map calendar bullhorn

UT News

5 Important Things to Know about Work-Study at UT

UT student workers and nursing students at a job fair.

Are you looking for a part-time job? Many opportunities are available for talented students to get job or internship experience through Work-Study. UT students have many options available to work on or off campus. Approved, nonprofit employers also offer positions in community service and fields related to your course of study. A Work-Study job will allow you to earn money to help pay for educational expenses and remain focused on your education.

UT wants its students to take advantage of the Work-Study program. Under Work-Study, employers pay only 30% of your wages, while the remaining 70% is paid by Work-Study funds. That empowers employers to hire more student workers and offer higher wages, and most importantly provide you with more employment opportunities.

Interested? Below are five things you should know about getting a Work-Study job this semester.

1.     It’s up to you to look for and find a job.

UT Work-Study does not place you in a position. Once you have been awarded Work-Study and received your verification, it is up to you to find an approved job. You can visit University Career Services for help with preparing for the interview process with a résumé and cover letter.

2.     You can find a Work-Study job at Hire a Longhorn.

On the Hire a Longhorn website, you can search for jobs available on and off campus, but the job must be classified as Work-Study. Work-Study jobs are part time, and employers are required to schedule work around your classes. If you have any questions about the Hire a Longhorn Job Bank, email hirealonghorn@austin.utexas.edu.

3.     Come to the Work-Study Job Fair!

The annual Work-Study Job Fair can help you find a part-time job and meet with prospective employers in person. About 60 on- and off-campus (nonprofit) employers approved to attend will be at the event, and some will hire students on the spot. This year, the job fair is on Wednesday, Aug. 28, in the Texas Union Shirley Bird Perry Ballroom (3.202) and is open to all students. Bring your résumé and Work-Study Verification.

4.     Show your Work-Study Verification.

Your Work-Study Verification is confirmation that you have been awarded Work-Study for the current academic year. You can access it on UT Direct > CASH > Status/Requirements or from MyUT. To be hired in Work-Study, you will need to provide a recent copy of your Work-Study Verification to the employer.

5.     Email work.study@austin.utexas.edu!

If you are interested in getting a Work-Study job or have questions about Work-Study, you can contact UT Work-Study staffers directly by sending an email to work.study@austin.utexas.edu. For questions about Hire a Longhorn, email hirealonghorn@austin.utexas.edu.

Work-Study at UT Austin

Media Contact

University Communications
Email: UTMedia@utexas.edu
Phone: (512) 471-3151

The University of Texas at Austin

How MyUT Can Help You Navigate the New Semester

Two color orange horizontal divider